Set your diary for October 12 because Amazon Prime have their first original drama and it’s going to be huge.
1. It’s created by Mad Men showrunner Matthew Weiner who brought the 1950s back into Vogue with his all-smoking, ad agency hit that reestablished the face of barbershops and men’s haircuts ever since. Said to have cost around $50million, and with Weiner bringing some of his behind-the-scenes writers and creatives to the show, The Romanoffs is a hit waiting to be watched.
2. The cast! Hello John Slattery and Christina Hendricks of Mad Men fame, Clea Duvall, Corey Stoll, Radha Mitchell, Katherine Hahn, Diane Lane, Aaron Eckhart, Amanda Peet – some of TVs best and brightest are claiming to be Russian royalty so that’s a big tick on the acting front.
3. No less than 18 Romanovs took the throne from 1613 and coming in a bloody and tortured end in 1918. To this day, no one can be sure if the Romanovs were martyrs or villains, so Weiner’s 8-episode foray into the aristocratic lives of the main characters, who each claim to be members of the clan, has plenty of real-life drama to keep it interesting.
4. One of the most famous family members, Anastasia was said to have escaped the slaying, so, will we find out what happened to her? “I love this idea that these characters believe themselves to be, whether they are or not, descendants of this last autocratic family who are part of one of the great true crime stories of all time,” Weiner tells The Hollywood Reporter. Guess you’ll have to watch it to find out then.
5. The show was filmed as eight standalone episodes and each one gets resolved so there’s no hanging on to see what comes next “Every single episode — and there will be eight,” says Weiner “has a different cast, a different story and a different location.”
So, will this be an ongoing series or a standalone season? “Oh, I’d do more of these,” Weiner happily states. “If I enjoy this and Amazon enjoys this, we will continue.”