"It started with a bad odour (which I thought was the toilet), so I shut all the doors off," Brooke continues.
"During my online lecture I ran to the toilet to find the smell unbearable worse and heat blaring in the hallway. I quickly realised my switchboard was sizzling and ready to blow up."
"I can't even imagine if I was fast asleep, in the shower, or had continued my lecture."
"This is very scary, dangerous and not okay," she continued. "On the flip side, I didn't mind having 5 firemen to help me out."
Encouraging her followers to "look after" their properties and keep up with maintenance, Brooke shared what she thinks we should all be looking out for:
- Plastic/Bad burning odour
- Noise from the switchboard
- Items flicking on and off such as the heater or fridge
Fortunately, everything worked out for Brooke - but her post is a timely reminder to us all to be fire safe and responsible.
According to the New South Wales Fire & Rescue, more than 350 residential house fires are started by electrical faults in power boards in NSW each year. Check out their full guide to home safety here.
Stay safe, people!