Coastal research expert Stephen Leatherman, a professor at Florida International University who is also known as Doctor Beach, has been drafting the list for a decade and describes Kailua Beach Park as “a beautiful white sand coral beach with generally small waves.”
Leatherman uses 50 criteria to evaluate beaches including water cleanliness, safety and management of the beach environment and its facilities.
Close to the village of Kailua and boasting views of the world famous Mokulua Islands, the scenic spot has picnic facilities, volleyball courts and kayak rentals and lifeguards on duty.
Kailua pipped North Carolina's Ocracoke Beach and Grayton Beach State park in Florida which came second and third respectively.
Dr. Beach’s Top 10 U.S Beaches for 2019 are:
- Kailua Beach Park, Hawaii
- Ocracoke Beach, North Carolina
- Grayton Beach State Park, Florida
- Coopers Beach, New York
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach, Massachusetts
- Caladesi Island State Park, Florida
- Hapuna State Beach Park, Hawaii
- Coronado Beach, California
- Kiawah Beachwalker Park, South Carolina