“I mean yesterday, I was gardening and did a bit of pruning and didn’t realise I was pruning a highly toxic plant and broke off at the stem and put sap into my eye,” he explained.
“Sap from a toxic cactus ulcerated my cornea and I ended up in ER last night with an ulcerated eye.”
He went on to urge people to “stay in their lane” and try not to tackle new projects.
“Stay in your lane, whatever you’re good at, just stick with that. Don’t try to diversify into other areas!” he warned. “The backyard is the most dangerous place on the planet let me tell you.”
“The nurses and doctors at Prince of Wales emergency were amazing and diagnosed a burn on my cornea,” he wrote.
“Possibly in a last desperate bid to make me feel better, they did assure me this was the second case of cactus induced conjunctivitis in the last 3 days. The lessons?
1. Stay in your lane people.
2. I’m a veterinary surgeon not a tree surgeon
3. And self-isolation DIY injuries are a growth industry,” he joked.
He then added: “On a serious note, the emergency staff in hospitals have never been under more pressure or in more danger yet they’re still fronting up to help us.
“Help them by listening to the advice and self isolating. It might not save your life but it could save someone else’s.
“I’m now off to kill a cactus. With protective eyewear.”