Our Top 10 Fashion Quotes
10. "I think there is beauty in everything. What 'normal' people perceive as ugly, I can usually see something of beauty in it." - Alexander McQueen
The Designer Brought Drama Back To Couture
Alexander McQueen created his eponymous label in the early ‘90s as a fashion design student. His scandalous Jack the Ripper-inspired debut collection should have been a sign that he wasn’t interested in basic clothes!
From the skull print to a human chess runway show, his lavish stages showed that true style often called for unconventional taste.
9. “Create your own individual style. I’m not interested in the girl who walks into my office in a head-to-toe label look that’s straight off the runway. I’m interested in a girl who puts herself together in an original, independent way.” - Anna Wintour
The Revered Vogue Editor Dislikes The Conventional
Anna Wintour’s severe bob belies her love for mixing haute couture with affordable basics. Anna’s approach to Vogue editorials reflect her famous fashion quotes to women: choose pieces that express your personality.
It’s the unexpected touch that really makes a look stand out! While a complete runway ripoff can still look classy, it can come off a bit boring.
8. “Buy less, choose well.” - Vivienne Westwood
Quality, Not Quantity!
British designer Vivienne Westwood was right: it’s not about having a big closet, it’s about having pieces you genuinely love and can see yourself wearing over and over again.
Vivienne was a believer in changing fashion’s negative impact on the environment, and she wanted to stop people from buying cheap, poorly-made clothes just to be trendy. Sage advice!
7. “Fashion is what you’re offered four times a year by designers. And style is what you choose.” -Lauren Hutton
The Halston Muse Says You Should March To Your Own Beat
Lauren Hutton was one of the most highly-paid models in the ‘70s, appearing on the cover of Vogue 26 times. Lauren was one of fashion’s original It girls, and she successfully transitioned to acting in the ‘80s.
We’ve never seen Lauren make a fashion faux-pas over the decades, and that’s probably because she follows her own advice. Pick what you like and don’t copy full looks from catalogues!
6. "Luxury is the ease of a t-shirt in a very expensive dress." - Karl Lagerfeld
Dress Beautifully, And Stop Feeling Self-Conscious!
Karl Lagerfeld was famous for reviving Chanel’s reputation, serving as its creative director from 1983 until his death.
He pushed luxury to excess, and created aspirational fashion that could be worn proudly instead of tucked away for special occasions. He loathed casual clothes, and some of his best quotes encouraged women to dress up their everyday look.
5. “Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.” - Coco Chanel
Chanel Is Still A Byword For Elegance
Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel was responsible for popularising the little black dress, trousers for women, and Chanel’s signature tweed suits. Some of the most famous 1920s fashion quotes come from her thoughts on timeless style.
4. “Why change? Everyone has their own style. When you have found it, you should stick to it.” - Audrey Hepburn
Her Signature Style Makes Her A Fashion Inspiration Up To Now
Audrey Hepburn’s quotes on elegance show why she was one of the greatest actresses and fashion muses of the 1950s. Though she’s known for her black dress in Breakfast At Tiffany’s, she was also responsible for popularising cigarette pants and ballet flats.
Her style changed very little over the years, but over half a century later, Audrey’s outfits are still as sophisticated as ever.
3. “Fashions fade. Style is eternal.”
Saint Laurent Believed In Dressing To Flatter Your Body
Yves Saint Laurent is known for making the androgynous look chic, with the signature women’s tuxedo, Le Smoking creating waves in the industry.
Famous for incorporating art into his runways, he discouraged women from blindly following trends. This quote highlights his advice to pick clothes that suit you, instead of forcing yourself to wear something just because it’s cool.
2. "In difficult times, fashion is always outrageous." - Elsa Schiaparelli
Sometimes, You Have To Be Bold
Elsa Schiaparelli was known for creating daring looks even as World War II loomed over Paris. She saw fashion as fantasy, and she refused to shut down her workshop until she left for America in 1942.
Some of her most memorable creations were made during these ‘difficult times’, such as the lobster dress and the signature Schiaparelli shade “Shocking Pink”.
1. "You gotta have style. It helps you get down the stairs. It helps you get up in the morning. It’s a way of life. Without it, you’re nobody. I’m not talking about lots of clothes.”
For Diana, Fashion Was A Basic Need
At the height of her career, Diana Vreeland was considered the queen of haute couture, havings served as one of Harper’s Bazaar’s most notable columnists before becoming Vogue’s editor-in-chief.
Famous for her Harper’s column called “Why Don’t You?”, her outlandish suggestions dared women to push the boundaries of style instead of sticking to the same combinations every day. Style was as important as food and water to her, just as it still is to every fashionista!
When In Doubt, Be Guided By These Fashion Quotes
With so many trends and the lure of fast fashion, it can be tough to figure out your signature style. Luckily, these witty, funny fashion quotes can help you decide what works and what you should skip! Fashion doesn’t have to be expensive, but it should involve clothes which make you feel confident and poised. If you’re not sure about your outfit, consult the words of wisdom above and you can’t go wrong!