With the young father’s rugby career currently in question, there’s no better time for Burgess to be looking at a change of career.
Earlier this month the British-born sportsman was given a hefty nine-match ban over an eye-gouging incident. Burgess says he is mortified by the whole issue, which made headlines across the nation.
“It wasn’t an intentional thing, but it was just an unfortunate situation,” he says. “I take responsibility for it, it’s not a great look, so I’ve got to cop the punishment there. I’ll learn from it and make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
With his contract with his current team, the South Sydney Rabbitohs, coming to a close at the end of the NRL season, questions have been raised about whether Burgess will retire from rugby league altogether.
However, the footy star reveals he has no plans to quit just yet.
“I’m off-contract with the Rabbitohs, but I’m still thinking about playing on if a team will have me, so we’ll see what happens,” he says. “I’ll hopefully get back for the finals, play in the finals, and then we’ve got internationals at the end of the season, so I’ve
got a few games there to put myself forward and see how we go.”
As well as a new career in entertainment, Burgess has another huge distraction – the arrival of his third child with wife Joanna. The baby joins sister Birdie Maquelle, 11 months, and brother Boston Mark, 2.
“I’m not sure how well I’d be coping with it if I didn’t have my family and my kids, so I’m really thankful for that,” he admits.“I love being a dad and it’s great to add another little munchkin to the bunch.
It’s good to get them all close in age so they can enjoy each other’s company growing up and be a part of each other’s lives. It’s really special.”
The All New Monty premieres on Tue., Jul. 30, 7.30pm on Channel Seven.