"I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect us to pay for everything the way we do for a royal visit," Aaron Wudrick, director of the Canadian Taxpayer Federation, told The Telegraph.
"If they’re going to make Canada a second home, a good step in the right direction would be to pay for at least part of it, and not rely on taxpayers to fund their entire lifestyle."
Meanwhile, it seems British taxpayers aren't too keen on shouting the couple funds for the hefty security detail bill either, with 73 percent saying they did not think Harry and Meghan should continue to receive taxpayer-funded security support in a recent poll.
Despite the comments, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has reportedly assured the Queen that his country will pick up the tab for the couple's security, according to UK paper The Evening Standard.
It's been a rough week for all the royals, following Harry and Meghan's shock announcement. The Queen was left distraught on Monday after Prince Harry defiantly insisted he wasn’t changing his mind about quitting the royal family, amid rumours that he and Meghan are already lining up a tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey.
It comes amidst reports Harry has been distancing himself from his friends since Meghan was pregnant with their son Archie, now eight months old.
A well-connected source has told PEOPLE that Harry “cut off” many of his long-time friends “about six months into” Meghan's pregnancy.
“Most no longer even have his cell [mobile phone] number,” says the insider. “They totally understand that men often drift from their friends after marriage, but there’s still a lot of resentment because they had been so close for so long.”