Despite wearing a wetsuit and swimming with sharks in the program, viewers were annoyed at the messaging behind the show's promotion, which they said promoted the demonisation of the creatures.
In particular, viewers took offence to tweets published by 60 Minutes in a bid to promote the segment.
In one tweet published on October 16, 60 Minutes posted: “The ultimate summer debate: Should sharks be protected or culled? SUNDAY on #60Mins: The brave shark attack victim and inspiring ocean crusader who say we need a radical rethink about how we live with the man-eaters.”
A number of Twitter users took to the social media platform to blast the program for seeming to encourage hysteria.
"Maybe you should also have a rethink about your language 60 Minutes instead of contributing to the fear narrative with words like "maneater". Shame on the person who posted this," one person tweeted.
"They don't come up on our shores, maybe we shouldn't go into thier [sic] waters..." said another.
“Why do you morons continue with this ridiculous fear mongering? Sharks must be protected and have no interest in attacking humans,” another posted.
Karl's latest spat of criticism follows news that he will be taking over from Mark Braybrook on 4BC's popular Drive show for the foreseeable future.
Having whet his appetite for radio during a stint on 2GB's Sydney Live, Karl will be covering for Mark in the primetime slot after the host announced he was leaving when 4BC revealed it would soon be producing all of its show out of Sydney.
"I have planned holidays for the non-ratings period for months," Mark said in a statement last week.
"Karl Stefanovic will be on air while I go fishing."