Second Date Etiquette
- People think that the dating rules say you should kiss the second time you step out together. To that we say, give it a rest! There are no rules about what you have to do on a second date. Sure, its great to pash someone, but why put yourself under pressure? Plus, you might have kissed them on the first date (scandalous, we know!)
- If the other person paid for your first date, it might be a nice gesture to pay for the second date, but that all depends on the person. You both may be more comfortable splitting your date 50/50 again.
- If you arranged the first date, be open to them arranging something for you to do together this time, even if it sounds a bit out of your comfort zone. Hey, they came to your pottery class, it's your turn to go to karaoke with them!
The Dos and Don'ts of The Second Date
- Don't expect to kiss them, or expect that they are ready to kiss you. If hand-holding or a kiss transpires, that's awesome, but putting pressure on someone isn't cool.
- Maybe steer clear of a traditional dinner and movie date. You're still getting to know each other. Movies don't really lend themselves to in-depth conversation (unless you want to get chucked out for talking!) and a formal dinner can end up feeling like a job interview. You want to keep the conversation flowing, and you want the atmosphere to be relaxed.
- Pick something fun or different to do together. This will facilitate getting to know each other better.
- Keep an open mind. This is only your second date, and if you're too quick to judge someone you may miss out on a beautiful relationship.
20 Second Date Ideas
20. Skip dinner and just get dessert
Dinner can be so formal, so for your second date why not skip a main meal and head out for ice-cream, sorbet or frozen yogurt? The added bonus is, if they don't like dessert, you'll find out early and that will save you wasting anymore time on them.
If you're looking for fun date ideas, you can't go past a round of novelty golf at Holey Moley. Perfect for a group date or just the two of you, novelty golf is a guaranteed good time. Even if you don't have a Holey Moley in your area, you're bound to have a local mini golf course that you can go terrorise for a few hours.
18. Shoot some pool
Not sure what to do on a second date? Head to a local pool hall or pub and test your skill. If you both can't sink a ball to save your life, even better. It'll only make the date funnier.
17. Go on a local ghost tour
Whether you believe in the paranormal or not, going on a local ghost tour is a fun, original second date idea. Plus, if it turns out to be legitimately scary, you've got a great excuse to hold hands.
16. Try your luck at the arcade
If you're a dab hand at Pac Man, now's the time to show it off! Test your skill at a local arcade together. This is is versatile date idea, you can go in a group or just the two of you, you can go in the evening and have drinks or you can keep it alcohol-free. It's entirely low pressure and the emphasis is on fun (and winning a prize!)
15. Organise a bonfire night
There is nothing more atmospheric than a bonfire. Of course check for fire danger ratings and total fire bans in your area before you set your ideas in motion, but a this second date idea could get the sparks flying!
14. Cook a meal together
Ok, ideally your cooking date won't emulate this picture. But cooking together is one of the best cheap date ideas. No need to go out to an expensive restaurant when you can whip up something together at home, and plus there's something extra special about a home cooked meal. The best way to someone's heart is through their stomach!
13. Check out a museum exhibit
Is there a beautiful new exhibition on at your local museum? Why not make this your second date. This can be an inexpensive second date idea, because most museums have a free exhibition, or you can splash out if there is something special touring. A museum date is great way to find out more about each others interests and tastes.
12. Do a local walk together
You don't have to have a full-on, sit down meal as your second date. Why not get your joggers on and enjoy a local walk together? It's much easier to get to know someone and ask them questions when you're both engaged in an activity, so look for a coastal walk or bush trek and invite them along for date number two!
11. Attend a sporting match
It's loud, passions are running high and adrenaline is pumping. Checking out a local sporting match is a great second date idea. The best thing about it is, if you barrack for the same team you already have a common interest. If you don't, there's already some healthy tension. Losing team pays for the 3rd date?
10. Go book shopping together
Nothing like stocking up on second hand fiction with your latest love interest. Secondhand bookstores are great places for dates. Stuck on what to talk about on a second date? Try asking for advice on good reads, or start hunting for certain authors together. Finding out someone's favourite genre is a great window into them as a person.
9. Go ice skating together
You don't need to be as good as Torville and Dean to enjoy an ice skating date together. Even if you're hopeless, this is the perfect chance to hold hands. You may get a wet butt, but it's worth it if it secures you a third date.
8. Take them to your favourite bar
If the first date went well, then you can feel confident about taking them to your favourite bar for a second date. The risk with the first date is, if it doesn't go well your favourite watering hole gets tainted with the awkwardness of a the failed rendezvous. But you're onto your second date, you're past that stage now and its time to show off your vast cocktail knowledge.
7. Meet up for a brunch date
Dinner dates are so 1999, it's the brunch date that's all the rage now darling! Grab Sunday brunch together at your favourite cafe or at theirs. You can make it a boozy brunch with Bloody Mary's or stick to the orange juice, it's up to you!
6. Go stand-up paddle boarding
If the weather is fine, stand up paddle boarding might be a winner! It's an outdoor activity ,you don't have to be an expect to enjoy it, and everybody (and we mean everybody) falls off at least once and makes a fool of themselves. A great way to keep breaking that ice.
5. Arrange a picnic dinner
Find the most picturesque spot in your town and arrange to have a picnic there. Watching the sun set whilst surrounded by a variety of scrumptious meats and cheeses is the perfect way to chalk up a second date.
4. Visit some local night markets
Grab a food truck meal together at your local night markets. Much more chilled than having a sit-down meal in a restaurant, night markets are atmospheric and tend to be full of delicious food options. Plus, after your second date, you can easily transition from the markets to a nearby bar and keep the night going.
3. Go op-shopping together
Looking for a cheap, informal yet fun second date? Try op-shopping together. Even if all you find is a bunch of daggy Hawaiian shirts, you'll still have a laugh looking for bargains together.
2. Wine Tasting
Wine tasting is one of the best second date ideas. You don't need to know your rosé from your white zinfandel, all that's necessary is that you enjoy a tipple and each others company. Great for a group date or a just you two date.
1. Plant shopping
If it's cute date ideas you seek, you can't go past browsing your local nursery for new house plants. It's low pressure, there are always cafes attached to garden centres if you want to stop for a coffee, and hey, you might get a new plant and a third date out of this outing.