Destination weddings have been heavily trending lately, and it’s easy to see why. From budget trips to all-inclusive packages, there’s a buffet of choices that you can choose from to hold your special day. The internet is full of ideas about best destination weddings, and you can even get a planner to take care of the specifics for you.
What Is A Destination Wedding?
If you’re not entirely sure about what a destination wedding is, it simply refers to holding a wedding anywhere else aside from your hometown. Those pictures of your cousin’s tropical beach wedding in Hawaii or that one friend of yours that just sent invitations to their wedding in Italy – they’re all destination weddings.
The best thing about destination weddings is that most of the time, you don’t need to know how to plan one. Most destination wedding locations can help you with everything you need to throw an awesome ceremony, and the best places will have turnkey packages for you to enjoy. Just chuck your money at them and they’ll handle the rest.
What’s the Pros And Cons To Holding A Destination Wedding?
Of course, there are some caveats to holding a destination wedding, both for you and your guests. Here are some things that you need to keep in mind before booking your dream wedding in Europe:
- Laws and regulations. While there are some places that’ll let you marry with the proper documentation, there are others that may have a few more legal hoops to jump through. This can include anything from residency to court documents.
- Airfare. It’s not uncommon for experienced destination wedding sites to take care of accommodations, but one thing you’ll definitely need to warn guests about is their flights coming to and from your wedding. They’ll normally have to pay for it themselves, so keep that in mind when you’re choosing a place to go with.
- It may not be for everyone. This doesn’t just go for guests, but for couples too – some may have their hearts set on marrying in their local chapel or have other plans. Don’t get carried away with the trend because everyone is doing it!
That being said, there are some very good reasons why you should consider a destination wedding:
- It’s cheaper than your usual weddings. If you play your cards right and get the best deals, a weekend stint at a resort on the coast can cost less than one ceremony in your city.
- They come with all the bells and whistles you’d normally expect from any other wedding. If you’re worried about these places not being up to par with actual churches, don’t be – they’ve got you covered from the reception to the photographer.
- There are so many options. Cruises, resorts, beaches, forests, and even underwater are all fair game for a destination wedding. Any of which will definitely make for a day to remember.
Where Are The Best Places For Me To Hold A Destination Wedding?
Now it’s time for the fun part: where can you go?
The short answer is everywhere: destination weddings are meant to get you up and about!
Here are some of our favourite locations:
Castello Di Vicarello, Cinigiano, Italy
If you’ve ever wanted a picturesque Tuscan wedding, the Castello Di Vicarello is a destination for all seasons. Nestled between olive gardens in the Italian countryside, this charming castle offers outdoor activities like truffle hunting and horseback riding – activities that your guests will definitely get a kick out of.
Molenvliet Wine & Guest Estate, Stellenbosch, South Africa
On the other hand, if you want a more Mediterranean vibe to your celebrations, the Molenvliet can be just the thing for you. Choose to hold your ceremonies outside among the vineyards or inside their beautiful white reception hall. If you want a lot of wine at your wedding, this is one of the best places for you to pick.
Alila Ubud Resort, Payangan, Bali
Fond of mountains and tropical rainforest?
Bali is your best bet!
The Alila Ubud Resort is surrounded by lush vegetation and mountains, making a really intimate and close space for your wedding. It also doesn’t hurt that they have one of the world’s best infinity pools.
Secrets The Vine Cancun, Cancun, Mexico
Couples looking for all-inclusive packages can come down to Cancun for an incredible wedding. This breathtaking locale channels the best parts of the Caribbean, right down to the atmosphere of your lodgings. A perfect blend of picturesque and practical.
Vail Mountain, Vail, Colorado
Overlooking the impressive mountain range of the Rockies, Vail Mountain’s the Wedding Deck gives you a backdrop more stunning than any altar in any church. If you’ve ever wanted a wedding with a view, this is the place to do it.
If you want something a little more than just altars and balloon arches, go for a destination wedding! Finding the best destination wedding locations has never been easier, and the options have never been more varied. It’s your special day, and you deserve to hold it somewhere special.
RELATED: Italy’s new hot spot!