Six years after taking their freedom flight to start a new life in the US, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are heading back to England. Their shock return is set to unfold within days, with Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, understood to be enrolled to begin school in September.
The move is being made in a private capacity. The couple are not resuming official duties on behalf of the monarchy, nor will they be living in a royal residence.
Still, to many, the decision will read as yet another attempt to have it both ways — particularly given Harry’s original plan to split his time between the UK and North America.
It’s believed the Sussexes will retain their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal, at least for now., though with their funds said to be dwindling, this may change if the move goes well.

Sources say King Charles was informed of the decision on July 16. Notably, the subject did not arise during Harry and Meghan’s visit to Highgrove House earlier in the month when the family of four visited the UK for the first time all together since Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee in June 2022.
The Prince and Princess of Wales have also been informed, though they are not in contact for the couple.
Where will Harry and Meghan live in the UK?
The location of Harry and Meghan’s new home and the children’s school will be kept private due to security concerns, though some have suggested it is near the Cotswolds.
The couple previously lived at Frogmore Cottage, Windsor, but were evicted and forced to hand back their keys in 2023.
Prince Harry is still without his publically funded security which he has be fighting to have reinstated since it was removed in 2020.

It became a major source of contention for the prince during his recent visit to the UK which saw days of reports over whether the children and meghan would still join him.
Meghan told The Cut in 2022 that she would “never be able to do school pick-up and drop-off” in Britain “without it being a royal photo call”.
A YouGov poll showed 61 percent of people in the UK disliked the duchess in June, so not everyone will be happy about them returning. Prince Harry has an approval rating of just 33 percent.
It is something the couple will desperately be trying to change as the countdown to the Invictus Games in Birmingham in July 2027, an event Harry is desperate to have the King attend by his side.
Share this post